Saturday, April 25, 2009

Adventures with Honey Bees

Mickey has had some exciting adventures with his Honey Bees. This picture shows Mickey and our dear friend, Ronnie, sorting through the 2 hives hunting for the queen. As they finished this process, they never found the queen!!, they suddenly spot a swarm on our honeysuckle bushes. As soon as they spotted them they flew away. They got in their vehicles and drove, seeing if they could see where they landed, but they never located them.

Mickey was splitting his bee's into 2 hives and moved one hive back against our back privacy fence.


Then Mickey was out checking his bees, and once again noticed they were swarming around the honeysuckle bushes AGAIN. He quickly called Ronnie. Here they are just surveying and trying to figure out what to do next!!!

Still looking things over.

Still looking!!!


Setting up the ladder. Ronnie said, "Susan, you need to write a book." I almost do!!


Placing one piece of the hive box, a nuke, on the ladder. The nuke has been sprayed with lemon pledge to attact the bees by the cent. They are hoping the bees will all return to the box. After awhile the bees are mostly gone and Mickey assumes they are in the box. He seals it up for, just before dark, for the night.
The next morning he goes out to remove the seal and check the box. There was not one bee in this nuke!!!
Even Ronnie is perplexed over this development. They called John, another bee keeper from our church, and he says it was probably a "test" smarming. As of this writing Mickey, do to losing these bees, he was unable to develop a 3rd bee colony.
We may not know what is happening, or going on, but we know that Our God knows and we are not overly concerned. The worst that has happened is Mickey was unable to establish the 3rd colony.
By the way, the new hive which he set back by the fence is doing great!!!! So he has two hives this year which are doing well. He began this venture last year with one hive. Never a dull moment around our place :o)
**************
Another busy week for us. Oh Thursday we were invited over to Don & Barbara's for chilli and then we all attended the Dave Ramsey symacast that was held at their church. It lasted 1 1/2 hours. We had gone to a conference by Dave Ramsey about 7 years ago in Oklahoma City. He didn't have a lot of new stuff to say, but he does believe our economy will come back and be okay if the government will just get out of the way. OOOOPPSSS ----- I don't think that is going to happen. As always, his main point is GET OUT OF DEBT!!! We are working hard to do just that.
My Tuesday night Bible Study is really getting interesting and we are learning so much. I'll share some on that later.

post signature

18 comments:

Mari said...

My Grandpa and my Dad had bee hives. This brought back memories!
I attended a Dave Ramsey event a couple of years ago and my daughter and her husband have taught the class at their church. It's good stuff!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

We'll be very excitedly watching your posts on honeybees. I don't know if you saw my field trip post where we went to the Bee Farm. As a matter of fact, I just got finished reading a book this morning aloud to Joy on bees, then I clicked over here and saw your post!

Yes, Dave Ramsey has good advice and we too are working on getting out of debt!

Seems like we were thinking alike today! :)

Tammy

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the bees are doing okay and even in the midst of confusion it looks like more honey on the way, yummmm!

Our church had the live video stream of Dave Ramsey as well. We were unable to go, but I've love to hear him once. Being good stewards is what it's all about and I know you believe the same.

Andrea said...

Hi, Susan! Thank you so much for your visit to my blog and for your comment! Oh, that Christ would return this very day!

You have a lovely place. And your family is beautiful!

We are spirit-filled believers, also.

My daughter-in-law is from Oklahoma - the Tulsa area - Sand Springs. She and my son both graduated from Central Bible College in Springfield, MO. They now live there and work in an Assembly of God church.

It's so nice to meet you. Take care, and many, many rich blessings to you in Christ Jesus.

In His Love,

Andrea

Anonymous said...

What a strange adventure with the bees!

Betty said...

Thanks for the pic´s. Looked interesting. I always wonder what makes people have bee hives, my brother in law has 4!
This is somewhere I would not go near! :) I´m just a scaredy like that !

Unknown said...

Cute pictures. They made me smile! I can just see a book for children titled: "Mickey's Bee Hive Adventure".

Susan, could you please ask Ginger to send me an ivite to read her blog. I'm not allowed to view it lately.

MightyMom said...

so are those honeysuckle bees wild or are his bees running away from home?

Susie said...

I always enjoy reading about your bee adventures. I imagine that it has turned into such a fun hobby!
I agree that debt free is a worthy goal. We're indeed so blessed to have achieved that.
hugs))

Barbara said...

Seems quite tricky but I am sure it is fun.

Danny Wright said...

Susan

I listened to Dave Ramsey back when he was a local in Nashville on a radio show he called "The Money Game". I've read his book "Financial Peace" and love it. Sure do wish I'd held a little closer to his teachings though.

... said...

the bee hive adventures have started =) the whole third hive is an interesting situation. never heard of a test swarm.

Ruth said...

Hi Susan! Are you surprised to see me? I am trying to blog a little bit. I've missed you. I loved the bee pics and the captions!

Nadine said...

I love honey, but not a big fan of bees. I think Mickey is brave to have hives.

Kathy said...

Wow. Interesting with the bees. I know this may seem crazy, but when you said he was unable at this point to establish a 3rd Colony, it reminded me of a book we're currently reading through-the biography of George Mueller. (trying to establish additional orphanages). Actually, I think every Christian would do well by reading this book, and see how George and his wife Mary prayed for EVERYTHING, and if they didn't pray, it didn't happen. Pretty intriguing. Rather than turn my comment into a post, I can take the continuation of this to Field Lily in a day or two. Blessings Susan, and you all Bee strong in the Lord, and in His mighty power! : ). "Bee"lessings!

The Olson's: said...

Sorry to hear the 3rd bee hive didn't work. Sounds like the rest are quite happy tho!

Lisa said...

wow! lemon pledge? really? i never heard of that!

I love Dave Ramsey! Got all his dvd's and books! We have been debt free for years - Thank the Lord!

I'm sorry he could'nt start the 3rd hive. Yeah, you never know why that happens. Very interesting to learn about.

groovyoldlady said...

Oh no...Where can the bees BE???