Sunday, December 12, 2010

Participating in Spiritural Sunday. Go here to follow others and learn all about it.


WOMAN AND A FORK

There was a young woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and been given 3 months to live. As she was getting her things "in order," she contacted her Pastor to come to her house to discuss aspects of her final wishes. She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service, what scriptures she would like read, and what outfit she wanted to be buried in. Everything was in order and the Pastor was preparing to leave when she suddenly remembered something very important to her. "There's one more thing!" she said excitedly. "What's that?" came the Pastor's reply. "This is very important," the young woman continued. "I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand." The Pastor stood looking at the young woman, not knowing quite what to say. "That surprises you doesn't it?" the young woman asked. "Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the request," said the Pastor. The young woman explained. "My grandmother once told me this story, and from that time on I have always tried to pass along its message to those I love and those who are in need of encouragement. In all my years of attending socials and dinners, I always remember that when the dishes of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, "Keep your fork." It was my favorite part because I knew that something better was coming...like velvety chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie. Something wonderful, and with substance!" So, I just want people to see me with a fork in my hand and I want them to wonder, "What's with the fork?". Then I want you to tell them: "Keep your fork........The best is yet to come." The Pastor's eyes welled up with tears of joy as he hugged the young woman good-bye. He knew that the young woman had a better grasp on heaven than he did. She had a better grasp on what heaven would be like than many people twice her age, with twice as much experience and knowledge. She KNEW something better was coming.


At the funeral the Pastor heard over and over the question, "What's with the fork?" Over and over he smiled. During his message, the Pastor told of his conversation with the young woman about the fork and what it symbolized to her. He told them he could not stop thinking about the fork and that they probably would not be able to stop thinking about it either. He was right.

So the next time you reach down for your fork let it remind you, ever so gently, the

BEST IS YET TO COME.

This was an e-mail I received and wanted to share here.


post signature

5 comments:

Mari said...

I love that story! It's such a good reminder!

Donnie said...

I love that story and I had, unfortunately, forgotten about it. I hope that won't happen again. Have a blessed Sunday.

MTJ said...

Hi Susan,

I've never heard this story before. Thank you for sharing it. It's a wonderful reminder to those who walk by faith, trusting in the Lord that, the best is yet to come.

Let us rejoice now as we shall on that day.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

Whidbey Woman said...

It's been awhile since I've read this story. Its good, isn't it?
Thank you so much for sharing it for Spiritual Sundays. Yes, the best IS to come!!!

Charlotte said...

I think I've heard this story but not in a very long time. I was glad to read it again. Amazing what lessons can be taught even after we've left this life. Thank you for sharing this.
Blessings,
Charlotte