Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hodgepodge #3




1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English in 2012-
amazing, baby bump, shared sacrifice, occupy, blowback, man cave, the new normal, pet parent, win the future, trickeration, ginormous, and thank you in advance.

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why?

Occupy - because it is being used, in my opinion, with a movement that is very harmful and destructive to our nation and is fostering and encouraging bad behavior on the part of most participants.
2. Are you easily embarrassed?  No.

3. What is your go-to snack?  The cookie jar.  Not so these first 10 days of this new year as I am doing a liquid only fast.  Hopefully, even when my fast is over I will leave the cookie jar alone for snacking.

4. Have you ever been to Washington D.C.? If not do you have any desire to go? What site/attraction would you most want to see in that city? If you have been, what's your favorite site/attraction?
Yes, The Library of Congress.  We actually saw it by accident because we asked a patrolman directions to the Supreme Court Bldg and in giving us directions he said we'd go by the Library of Congress and to stop there and go in.  He said it was the most beautiful building in Washington and hardly anyone visited it.  We took his advice and did so.  I stood on the upper balcony and actually wept it was so beautiful.  I then wrote in the visitor book, "I do not believe my eyes will behold such beauty until I get to heaven." and I meant it.  I ALWAYS recommend The Library of Congress to anyone I know is going to visit D.C.
5. sit ups-planks-lunges-squats...which do you hate the least?  lunges - I have never done a plank and never even heard of such a thing until recently.  Don't believe I'll be doing one!!!

6. What's a small act of kindness you were shown that you've never forgotten?  It wasn't really that small, but one year our daughter Suzette talked to our other 3 children and they all went together and bought us a brand new ceramic top range with self-cleaning oven for Mother's & Father's day gift.
7. Have you ever been a blood donor?  No.  I went one time, in my early 20's, and when they tested my blood I was so anemic that they ended up giving ME a blood transfusion.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Since I am currently fasting I wonder how many reading this blog today have ever fasted and why?

Wednesday Hodgepodge is fun to participate in so go here to do so.  Have a wonderful Wednesday.




post signature

14 comments:

Tami said...

I have never fasted. I have a weakness for food. Even when I try to diet, all I do is think of is FOOD! Luckily I love fruit and do not eat too unhealthy (unless it's a snickers bar). =)

Tami said...

Sorry, I signed in under my son's hockey team. My main blog is "Not Just A Hockey Mom". That's where you will find my Hodgepodge.
~Tami

Humble wife said...

I agree with the word occupy. Love this post and was shocked about the transfusion!

These are fun...look forward to more.

Jennifer

Short Stop said...

Susan - I LOVE my cookie jar. I can relate to that on every level!!!

I have fasted for one day a few times with the hopes to get clarity on something. I only did sun up to sun down - not a whole 24 hours. But, it did give me a reminder that I am utterly dependent on God - and when I had hunger pains, they were a powerful reminder to pray to Him.

Marti said...

I have fasted, but not for extended periods of time. It was a good experience. If I go to Washington, it will have to be with a tour. I can't find my way out of a paper bag. I am going to put the Library of Congress on my list of must sees. Visiting from Hodgepodge Wed. Drop by and see me.

Brenda said...

I know it's not humorous, but your blood donor experience hit my funny bone this morning!
I'm glad you mentioned that about the Library of Congress. Someday, when we get to take a trip back there we'll make sure and go there.
I haven't fasted in quite awhile and need to, not only for spiritual reasons, but when done right it is also physically beneficial.
Have a great day, Susan! We're having another snow day here.

retha said...

I had to smile about the blood donor part. You must be one of very few people thAt has happened to.

Nel said...

Enjoyed your answers! Wow, I bet you were surprised about the transfusion! We missed the Library of Congress in DC, my hubby was just talking about that the other day and how he would like to take me again. He worked in DC for several years. Thanks for stopping by my corner!
until next time... nel

Midlife Mom said...

I have never fasted, yet. I admire those who can. I really need to do a good study on it as I haven't done that for a long, long time.

I agree with 'occupy' too. It's been a mess here with the occupy people living in the parks, no sanitation, running water etc... I think tonight might shut them down as a storm is coming in.

Oh my goodness, that is something about you having to have the transfusion!!! I guess there was a good reason you went in that particular day!!!

kc bob said...

Enjoyed your answers Susan. I fasted when I was younger. My dyspeptic stomach keeps me from doing it these days. Not that I miss it all that much. :)

I joined the Hodgepodge fun on my blog. Thanks for the idea!

Joyce said...

I've never fasted. I'm with you on the word occupy...ugh!

Cathy said...

I have fasted several times because our pastor (my husband)called for a corporate fast from our church.

What a neat gift from your children.

I really want to see the Library of Congress and now you've made me want to see it even more than I already did.

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I forgot about The Library of Congress, it was most lovely!

I don't think I could fast. My husband says I have a very small window brfore I turn into a BEAST. I get a horrible headache when I am hungry.

I agree, occupy has worn out its welcome.

Sylvia said...

Enjoyed your blog and finding out a bit more about you. I have fasted many times - for a variety of reasons. Certainly helps to keep my mind and heart focussed.