Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A BIG JOB & FIRE

Remember the big ice storm we had back in December? Remember the two big trees that were damaged so badly Mickey & our son-in-love, Dave, cut down? All that limb debris had been thrown out into the back behind our fence and property. Mickey had been wanting to burn all of it. Seems like it was either too dry, and risk of fire, to do it or too wet, and wouldn't burn. We have had an unusual amount of rain in our area this summer.


Well, on Tuesday last week, in addition to us having the grand kids here, Mickey contacted our "adopted" son, Brody. who works for the Coweta Fire Department, to come help him.

I told them I was going to take pictures so Mickey is "primping" here by slicking down his hair for the photos!! The two chairs are in place for them to sit and talk and rest during this chore.

Beginning to move some of the debris and form a pile for the fire.

Getting it going. Mickey has just tossed another limb on.

It's going real good now.
You can barely see them in this picture but there are quite a few marigolds in bloom out here among the weeds and grasses. These came up as volunteers from the huge garden Mickey had planted back hear the summer of 2007.

Brody throwing yet another limb on the blaze.

My guys work cheap!!! All I had to provide was lunch. Here I'm carrying out their plates of sandwich, Frito's, bread & butter pickles (I made) and cantaloupe. Then I brought them each a soda to go with it.

Here are my two guys eating, resting and enjoying each other as they accomplish a huge job that Mickey had really been dreading tackling.
Thank you so much, Brody, you are always there to help us.
Brody is truly a Spiritual Son.

post signature

18 comments:

Carla said...

I just love it when 'the menfolk' do manly chores! (Actually they make it look manly:). The chairs are a must have! And I love how they are set up first:) How wonderful to have that out of the way, and have two great helpers enjoy doing it.

... said...

that was nice of brody to help with that. i'm always a bit bewildered when i see these kinds of fires. isn't there a risk that nearby vegetaion will go up in flames? it looks like the fire is right on top of the grass.

i'm sure it felt good to have that chore done with.

Pen of Jen said...

Wow! Work for fellowship, friendship and food! How wonderful.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

How fun work can be when you "share" it with friends!

Chesh said...

It is soo nice when you have friends to help with things like this. Glad you all are doing wonderfully.

Barbara said...

Hi! Susan

Looks like you had a good clean and fast fire. Not like those left smouldering at night affecting ones breathing.
Day time fires are against the law here.

Glad that Mickey is getting somewhere with his proposed treatment. Glad it is all not urgent, that's a good sign.

Like your teapot collection. You certainly have cheap prices for your garage sales over there, I remember when I was there. Not so here with our boot sales (trunk)

The Olson's: said...

It sure feels good to accomplish something that has been nagging at you! What a blessing to have Brody help you - that's what "family" is all about, helping each other in times of need. And I'm sure they were very thankful for your delicious "payment"!
~ Leanne

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

They were working hard! I know they sure appreciated the lunch. Nice when they work so cheaply! LOL!

Sharon said...

I enjoyed your post today. We have a big pile of trees that we want to burn also. We are going to wait till the first snow so that everything else is covered. I am so afraid of fire so I try not to watch.
God bless and have a nice day.

Kelli said...

What a great friend! It must feel great to have it taken care of!
~Kelli

Rhonda said...

I do remember that ice storm. My town pretty much missed but I felt so bad for every one who lost their trees and power.

Glad you have some excellent workers to clean it up.

Dawn said...

I can't believe you're able to burn stuff in your neck of the woods! A good job well done.

Nadine said...

It is always a blessing to have help on such a task, especially one who does it with love.

Brenda said...

Where's the s'mores?
Brenda ;)

Praise and Coffee said...

Priceless!!

Sue

Jeanette said...

Hi Susan . Great to have friends that like to give a helping hand for a bit of tucker,,I was waiting for the toasted marshmellows by the fire..

Mountain Mama said...

How sweet your son-in-love is! I have three just like him and I'm so thankful for their help.
I have a brush pile too but no way to dispose of it. We have a burn ban 365 days a year. Can you imagine? Especially since western Washington is known as a wet place. Mercy!
I am hoping my brush pile will disintegrate and become compost!

Momma Roar said...

How nice to cross off another item on the to-do list!!

I enjoy reading your happenings and always love the pictures - Mickey is a hoot!