Sunday, April 12, 2015

BOOK & READING

I have always been a prolific reader from a very early age.  Being raised essential as an "only child" (I had one 1/2 sister who left home when I was 6) books became my friends.  In my childhood I devoured all the Nancy Drew mysteries.  Many times, in the middle of the night, my mother would be saying, "Turn off your light and get to sleep, Susan".

Right after I was saved, at age 18, a friend loaned me Hannah Whitall Smith's book, THE CHRISTIAN'S SECRET TO A HAPPY LIFE.  It laid such a foundation of beginning growth in my then new walk with Jesus that over these ensuring 58 years I have read mostly Christian authors and self-help books.  Devouring series, first LEFT BEHIND by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.  Then, all Joel Rosenberg books to date, along with 3 Frank Peretti novels. 

One of my main loves in spiritual books have been classic writings by the many Spiritual Giant of Authors who are now in Heaven. During these years my focus was for Spiritual growth and not for casual reading. 

Just recently, with my husband's long and difficult medical situation, I decided it would be a good idea to start reading aloud to my husband.  My dear friend, Judy, who's Bible Study I attend on Monday mornings reads a lot of lighter Christian authors, so I asked her to loan me a couple.  The following Sunday she and her husband dropped off 2 Christian mysteries by Terri Blackstock.  We devoured them in a week and the following Monday I returned those 2 and received 4 more.  Which again, in the first week we have finished 2 of them.

I have a feeling we are going to be reading a lot, especially the next 4+ weeks as we await my husband Aorta Valve replacement procedure.

I Praise God for many things, and books, and the ability of those Authors who write them, and the many hours of learning and pleasure they have given me over these many long years. 


post signature

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Brilliant. I cannot imagine a world without books.

Mari said...

I have read all of those authors and enjoyed/learned from each of them.
I think it's a great idea for you to read to Mickey right now. Hope that surgery happens soon! I'm praying!

retha said...

Ones throat must get tired!That thought led me to remember this site.

https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/User:Freeelf/Christianity

These books are in the public domain.Some of them are audio books too.

pearlie said...

How I love being read to...but alas, none with that kind of love for books and patience with me! There are audio books now but I don't have good access to them.