Saturday, May 12, 2007

YOU LOOK JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER




The picture, on the left, was taken of my mother, Pauline Dickey Errett, in 1973. She was 67 years old
This picture on the right was taken of me this year. I am 69 years old.
Happy Mothers Day!
I wrote a tribute to my Mom that says all the things I feel and would say about her this Mother's Day. I hope if you have not read it, and have the time, you will do so.
The name of this post is based on the following story. In 1962
Mickey and I and our 2 young daughters, our sons were not yet born, made a trip back to Tennessee to visit his family. On the return trip to Denver, where we were living at the time, we stopped in Missouri and dropped in unannounced on my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins who all lived around
there. Since my parents and I had lived in New Mexico all my early life I had seen my grandparents only on 4 or 5 occasions before this.
The 2 days we were there everyone kept telling me "You look just like your mother!". Now when you are 25 years young and your mother is 56 years old you do not remotely feel that you look like her, nor do you want to.
It has only been the last few years, as I'm approaching the age my mother was when she passed away and I see pictures of her compared to pictures of me now that I can see just how very much I do resemble her.
I am very proud of the fact that I not only resemble her in looks but I hope I have many of the traits that she instilled in me during my life time. She was a woman of true grace, refinement and character and I have endeavored to be like her. She taught me many things: honesty, politeness, and good manners. I always knew she was there for me and for my family. We ALL miss you very much Mother.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these beautiful pictures of you and your Mom!! And I linked back to the tribute you wrote for her, and enjoyed it very much... what a wonderful lady!!!

Happy Mother's Day, Susan!!! :-)

michelle said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman (I read your April post).

I pray for so many that we learn early on how much our mom's really did for us and how much they cared!You've been a wonderful example of that!

Have a Wonderful Mother's Day!

Trella said...

What a wonderful tribute. I love the pictures of you and your mother, and you do look like each other.

Happy Mother's Day,
Trella

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

You really do look like your mom! She was a beautiful woman, as are you, inside and out! Happy Mother's Day!

Barbara said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Susan. I have been getting lots of wishes too from around the world b ut our Mother's Day was over a month ago. Wonder why the dates are so different. Yes you do look like your Mother and I enjoyed reading about her.

Susie said...

Happy Mother's Day,
I think you and your Mom look very much alike.
Since I've been blogging many people have pointed out how much I look like my Mom, but it's not as easy for me to see.

Tracy said...

Susan,
I hope that you have a wonderful Mother's day! May God bless you!
Tracy

Myrna said...

There is a definite mother-daughter resemblance!You have written a sweet and tender tribute to your wonderful mother!

Jill said...

I just read your tribute to your mom and it was wonderful. And, I do have to agree that you two look a lot alike. No one has ever really said I look like either of my parents, but I do see a lot of mannerisms in myself that are just like my mom.

Momma Roar said...

Yes, definately a resemblance! That was a sweet post. I hope that you are having a wonderful day!

Leigh Ann

Unknown said...

You all do really look alike! and what a wonderful tribute! I hope your Sunday is blessed!

Anonymous said...

I have heard all my life that I look like my mom. I never could see it either, but as I age I look in the mirror and see her looking back. I love her so much and am so blessed to have her as a mom and as a friend. I guess getting older makes us wiser :)

I've said it many times already, but hope you are blessed today!

Portrait of Peter said...

Susan, beautiful sentiments of your mother and so from the heart.

Happy Mother's Day.

Ruth said...

I love both your tribute to your mom and the pictures. She was a very beautiful woman, and I can see she was a great woman as well. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Linds said...

Happy Mother's Day, Susan! You do look just like your mother, ands that is a compliment!I hope you have had a great day.

Beach Girl said...

Thank you for sharing your mom with us.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, Susan!

In Christ,
Vanessa

Rita Loca said...

happy Mother's Day!

Lori said...

I like seeing these photos. You do like a lot alike.
What a neat tribute to your mom.

I hope you had a wonderful day!

Michelle (wife, mom, grandma, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, and striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman) said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom. It reminds me how important it is to write down our history, and that of our loved ones. What cherished memories we don't ever want to lose, and our children will thank us some day, too, as they learn about their heritage.
(I also thank you for leaving such kind words on my blog.)
Happy Mother's Day, Susan.

Pen of Jen said...

Great Post...
Happy Mother's DAY!
I think you look like your mom!
I m short on time and trying to let my blog friends know I am thinking of them! Take care
Jen( somewhere in Arizona!)

Tina said...

that was beautiful Susan and I agree too; you look like your mother.

Just Mom said...

A belated Happy Mother's Day to you.

weavermom said...

Wow - you do resemble her greatly! :) I look a lot like my mom too and I'm just beginning to appreciate being told so. :)

Hope your Mother's Day was fabulous!

sandy said...

Great story and wonderful pictures. I enjoyed this.

I think I look more like my dad, my sis, more like my mom.

Both have passed away.