Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Fun Luncheon - Bee Club - Devotional


Our Monday morning in-home Bible Study group took yesterday off from Bible study and 10 of us went to Muskogee for lunch. Muskogee is a town south of Tulsa. You might recognize the name from the song Merle Haggard made famous in 1969 titles "Okie from Muskogee"!!!!
We ate at Harmony House which is a restaurant is in old 2 story home, full of antiques. Their food is wonderful. It was my first time there.....it won't be my last.


A picture of 8 of the 10 of us. Starting at the back left, in the white is Judy. Judy is the one who started this Bible Study in her home. Then continuing on the left: Betty, Barbara, Martha & Linda. On the right from the back: Pat, Shirley & Wantha Ann. Thelma had already left by the time I remembered to take the picture :o( and of course I am the photographer. What a fun time we all had. Wantha Ann picked me & Shirley up and did the driving. The ride to and from was also a great time of sharing. It is such a blessing to be a part of this group that God has put together.

Last night was our Bee Club meeting so we made the trip into Tulsa for that. As always the camaraderie is fun and we always learn a great deal. We've had so much going on that we've missed the last couple of months so it was great to attend.

The following is today's devotion from "The Word For Today". It was so good I wanted to share it with you:

"The Glory of the Lord appeared...before all the children of Israel"

Numbers 14:10 NKJV

MOVE FORWARD

"People once thought the world was flat and that you would sail off the edge. They thought man would never walk on the moon. In 1899 the U.S. patent office almost closed because the CEO said, "Everything that can be invented already has been." In retrospect his statement is ridiculous. But some of us have bought into the same philosophy about our lives. We stop learning because we're "too old". We're afraid to change careers in case we "jeopardize our pension." We don't pursue our dreams in case we fail or get ridiculed. We're so accustomed to self-imposed limitations that we tell ourselves, "I can't do that, so I can't do anything." In essence we're building a box, crawling inside, then looking for something to blame for our lack of faith. God didn't box you in you did, and you need to take the initiative for breaking out!

"When you get down to it there's very little difference in people. But the little difference amounts to a big difference, and the little difference is attitude; it determines whether you see life through the eyes of faith or the lens of fear. When others around him saw only giants and wanted to turn back, Kaleb said, "If the Lord delights in us, then He will bring us into this land and give it to us." (Numbers 14:8 NKJV At that point two things happened. First, "All the congregation said to stone them" (verse 10). Second, "The glory of the Lord appeared in the Tabernacle".Caleb's critics said "no" but God said "yes." All you need is God's approval. When you have it, disregard the naysayers and move forward."


post signature

16 comments:

Mari said...

Good devotion - it makes a great point!

retha said...

Amazing how food always makes visiting with others even better.
Yes, I think I'll have to go examine me to see where I have places those limitations on me.

Anonymous said...

Both events sound like they were so much fun. One thing I notice about you and Mickey is you don't isolate yourselves, you have so many friends and it seems like it makes you an even happier couple!!

Limitations, yes, I know I have created quite a few, and I also don't listen enough for God's answer, I listen to everyone else, and everyone has a different answer!!! Amazing how that one thing could potentially make all the difference in the world.

Nadine said...

It's good to get out and have fun at a restaurant like that with friends. I love discovering new places to eat.

Barbara said...

Always a blessing and priviledge to have such a group to meet with and have fun with.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

You all have the funnest get-togethers and great fellowships! Love the sound of that place and your words today too!

Tammy

Karen said...

Thanks, I needed that today! Looks like you all had a great time.

Maalie said...

> "the eyes of faith"...

Or the mask of delusion?

Anonymous said...

Everytime Dave and I drive through Muskogee Dave starts singing that song. If Jenna moves in the next couple of months I'm thinking we will be making that drive again. We have plans to drive down at Christmas time. Maybe we'll be heading your way and can catch a cup of coffee again :)

Lisa said...

What a powerful thing to be greatful for. Christian women getting together to learn more about our Lord. Wish we had that here. Guess I could start a group, huh?

The Olson's: said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time having lunch with a wonderful group of ladies!
~ Leanne

Maxine said...

My word, you have so much fun and have so many folks to hang out with. Good for you.Don't let that grass grow too long under the feet!

Unknown said...

What a great group of bible study friends. I just love it when women can bond and carry on such precious relationships. Lunch at a nice "girly" place helps too. Thanks for sharing your devotion.

Fitter After 50 said...

I really enjoying hearing anything Tulsa-related. It will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm glad you had fun with your friends.

Joy said...

What a sweet group of ladies.
I know you all have had a wonderful time sharing in your Bible Study.
That restaurant sounds yummy.


Joy

Unknown said...

What a blessing to see some of the ladies you fellowship with. I think we need to see more and more Bible study groups, prayer groups rising up as these days progress.