Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cooking with Pumpkin

Back in November I cooked and processed pumpkin to put in the freezer. 


I spent part of my Memorial Day fixing 2 different pumpkin desserts from one container of the frozen pumpkin.

Pumpkin Nut Cookies
70 cookies later

Recipe:  Pumpkin Nut Cookies
1/2 cup butter or shortening (I used shorting)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts
Cream shortening; add sugar gradually.  Cream until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and pumpkin; mix well.  Sift flour, baking powder, salt and spices together.  Stir in dry ingredients and mix until blended.  Add raisins and nuts.  Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheets.

Bake in preheated 350 degreeF oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cookies are golden on edges and set in center.  Be careful not to overbake! -----------Make 4 dozen cookies  (I got 70 smaller ones)

NEXT I made 6 of these
Pumpkin Custard
1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin (I used my frozen pumpkin)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed (I used regular brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon dark rum or 1 teaspoon vanilla (I used vanilla)
1 regular can evaporated milk (about 1 cup)
Beat the egg until foamy. - Combine all ingredients in a blender, food processor or Vitamix.  (I used my blender)  Pour into heatproof custard cups.  Set the custard cups into a shallow pan of hot water and bake in a preheated 325 degreeF over for about 40 minutes, or until custard tests done.

Note:  To test custard for doneness, insert a sharply pointed knife about 1 inch from the side of the cup.  Knife should come out clean, but center may still be unset and will continue to cook after removed from the oven.  

Mickey really loved the cookies.  Not so much the custard.  I'm trying very hard to leave the cookies alone, although I did taste them and they are very, VERY good.  I'll serve them to the WOW Woman tonight.

HAPPY PUMPKIN IN MAY !!!!
Both of these recipes were from Cooks.com

post signature

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I can almost smell it baking NOW!!! Mmmmm. Everything looks and sounds delicious. Hugs, Susan.

retha said...

Never heard of cookies like that. It looks easy enough for me to try.
I just finished cooking and puréeing apples we received. First time to do that for me. Maybe I must go see if I can find a cookie recipe with that in.
But then on the other hand I'll also make life more difficult by having to avoid eating it.
For breakfast I used the puréed apple on my hand made muesli instead of milk.