Tuesday, March 12, 2013

BOOKS #4 & #6 FOR 2013 -BY DR. CAROLINE LEAF



Book #4 - Who Switched Off Your Brain? He said-she said by Dr. Caroline Leaf.


I meant to order the other book by Dr. Leaf and ordered this one by mistake.  I found it a very interesting read and I could  relate to Mickey & I in our marriage with the points she made and the differences in the two of us.  I also realized anew, what I have always known:  Mickey & I have had a very good, long marriage because we have always viewed ourselves as two 1/2's that make 1 terrific whole!!!  I also realized anew, that because we have viewed ourselves in this manner, we have always appreciated our differences and realized that where I am weak, he is strong, and where he is weak, I am strong.  Therefore, we have never gotten into a lot of "power struggles" with each other.  If you are struggling in your marriage, perhaps the main reason is that you get in power struggles with each other, instead of valuing and appreciating that God did make you different and it is the very differences that make us stronger. 

I immediately ordered the other book by Dr. Leaf (which became my 6th for this year) Who Switched Off My Brain?  I must say, I did not like this book nearly as much as the other.   I know the facts she gives are real and correct but the book itself was not as readable and seemed to repeat the same thing over and over under different headings.  It is designed more for doing analytical work on yourself and your problems and issues.  

I am thankful I made the error (in God's plan there are no error's in the lives of His children!!) and ordered the 1st book.  Had I read Who Switched Off My Brain? first I probably would not have ordered Who Switched Off Your Brain? He said - she said. 



My preference is to read more Word and Scripture based books.  I ordered these by Dr. Leaf because they had been  brought up in the Small Group class I co-teach on Sunday mornings and sounded interesting. 

Let me know your opinions if you have read or do read either of these.  I would be interested in your take.  
HAPPY READING!!! 

post signature

1 comment:

retha said...

"If you are struggling in your marriage, perhaps the main reason is that you get in power struggles with each other, instead of valuing and appreciating that God did make you different and it is the very differences that make us stronger."
So valid. The more we each are whom we are, the easier it is to live with each other. It also become more difficult to then tell the other who they are to be. Suppose brings me back to the 'splinter and log in the eye' issue.